Office for Women
The Australian Government values women and men as co-contributors to the economic and social well-being of Australia. The many varied roles women play in work and in their communities is recognised and valued, however the Government also recognises that women often need additional support to fully pursue the career opportunities available to them.
As a result of the Administrative Arrangements Order released 18 September 2013, the Australian Government Office for Women is part of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. This is to ensure a whole-of-government approach is given to providing better economic and social outcomes for women.
Senator the Hon Michaelia Cashis the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Women.
What we do
The role of the Office for Women is to advise and support the delivery of policies that will provide positive benefits for women and all Australians. The Office for Women consults across government and with a wide range of stakeholders – business, academic and civil society organisations – to address these priorities and deliver better outcomes for women.
To support the work of the Prime Minister and the Government, the Office for Women:
- Influences policy, legislation, Cabinet and Budget decision-making to ensure women's interests are considered across government;
- Provides high level advice to the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Women;
- Provides national leadership on a range of priority issues including safety for women, supporting women’s economic empowerment, and supporting women’s leadership;
- Engages closely in inter-department and inter-government forums;
- Consults with a range of key stakeholder groups, including Government agencies, women’s sector, business, academics and civil society broadly; and
- Supports Australia’s international engagement on gender equality issues, including fulfilling international reporting obligations (the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women), and representing Government at international forums, such as the United Nations and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation.
Refer to this page regularly for updates.
Office for Women
Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
PO Box 6500
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Phone: 02 6271 5111
Last Updated: 19 December 2013