Review of Recognition for the Battle of Long Tan and RAAF Ubon: Reports
On 12 October 2007 the government appointed an independent panel to review the treatment of award recommendations stemming from the Battle of Long Tan, on 18 August 1966. On 17 October 2007 a reference was added to review the service recognition of RAAF personnel posted to Royal Thai Air Force Base Ubon (RAAF Ubon) between 1965 and 1968. The terms of reference for the review were confirmed by the Cabinet Secretary and Special Minister of State, Senator the Hon John Faulkner, on behalf of the Prime Minister, on 3 February 2008.
The panel was directed to have regard to the Imperial gallantry awards recommended at the time of the Battle of Long Tan as well as claims for the award of the South Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry Unit Citation. The panel was also directed to consider the merits of the claim for further service medal recognition for RAAF Ubon by way of the Vietnam Logistic and Support Medal.
The panel reported separately on the two references on 31 March 2008.
- Review of Recognition for the Battle of Long Tan - RTF 1.66MB | PDF 501KB
- Review of service recognition for RAAF Ubon (1965-68) - RTF 803KB | PDF 169KB
The government announced its response to the reports on 14 August 2008. To view the Media release go to Senator John Faulkner's website.
Key decisions were to:
- award the Star of Gallantry to Harry Smith, Commander D Company 6RAR, in lieu of the Military Cross previously awarded;
- award the Medal for Gallantry to Dave Sabben and Geoff Kendall, platoon commanders, in lieu of the Mentions in Despatches previously awarded;
- approve the former Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm Unit Citation Emblem for wear by the strength of D Company 6RAR in Vietnam on 18 August 1966;
- refer any other unresolved concerns regarding individual awards for Long Tan to the independent Defence Honours and Awards Appeal Tribunal; and
- make no further awards for service at RAAF Ubon.
Further consideration of individual awards for Long Tan can be found on the Defence Honours and Awards Appeal Tribunal website.Top