Families in Australia: 2008
- About this Report
- About the Snapshot
- Documents and Downloads
- Viewing and Downloading this Publication
- Publication Disclaimer
- Contact Details
The inaugural Families in Australia report was launched on 10 December 2008.
Families in Australia fulfils the Rudd Government’s commitment to produce an annual report that outlines the state of Australian families. The report highlights the ongoing importance of the family to individuals and to society more broadly.
The report provides a summary of the key issues and trends facing Australian families. It examines a selection of key topics, including fertility, caring responsibilities, economic wellbeing of families, health of family relationships and how Australians are balancing work and family responsibilities.
The Government is committed to supporting all Australian families. We have a range of policies and programs in place that target support for families and are regularly revisiting these to ensure they are providing the best support possible. The areas of focus identified by Families in Australia: 2008 will guide Government’s policy development into the future. We look forward to future editions of the report which will help to identify emerging issues and challenges for Australian families.
If you would like to access a hardcopy or a CD-ROM of the report please call 1800 701 316.Top
The accompanying snapshot provides a summary of key data from Families in Australia: 2008 and also broadly describes Government initiatives which assist families.
- Families in Australia 2008 - RTF 2.02MB
- Families in Australia 2008 - DOC 950KB
- Families in Australia 2008 - PDF 1.22MB
- Families in Australia 2008 - High Quality PDF 2.37MB
- Families in Australia - Snapshot - RTF 255KB
- Families in Australia - Snapshot - PDF 1.52 MB
- Families in Australia - Snapshot - High Quality PDF 3.87MB
Publication by Chapter
- Chapter 1: Overview - RTF 108KB | PDF 154KB
- Chapter 2: Profile of Australian Families - RTF 282KB | PDF 50KB
- Chapter 3: Australia's Fertility - RTF 591KB | PDF 63KB
- Chapter 4: Australia’s Carers - RTF 275KB | PDF 73KB
- Chapter 5: Family Economic Wellbeing - RTF 220KB | PDF 45KB
- Chapter 6:Family Relationships - RTF 213KB | PDF 41KB
- Chapter 7: Balancing Work and Family - RTF 526KB | PDF 244KB
- Bibliography - RTF 622KB | PDF 112KB
The Families in Australia report has been made available on this site in Rich Text Format (RTF) and Portable Document Format (PDF) for downloading and printing. If you need further assistance with alternative formats, please contact the department through Web Services on 02 6271 5111 or through Feedback. Please see our Help Page for assistance with PDF accessibility issues, downloading and viewing files.
To download and save the document to your hard drive for offline viewing, right click on the document and choose "Save Target" or "Save link as" from the pop-up menu depending upon your browser. For Mac OS, click and hold the link to the PDF file and choose "Download Link to Disk" from the pop-up menu. Specify a name and location for the PDF file and then click Save.
The RTF and PDF versions of the Families in Australia have been reproduced from the print version. The print version remains the authoritative version of the document.
For more information about Families in Australia please contact the Office of Work and Family at the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
PO Box 6500
CANBERRA ACT 2600 Australia
Telephone: 1800 701 316Top