Ahead of the Game: Blueprint for the Reform of Australian Government Administration
- The Blueprint (PDF and RTF version)
- HTML Version
- Viewing and downloading this publication
- Publication disclaimer
[Foreword to Ahead of the Game]
On 8 May 2010, the Prime Minister announced that the Government has accepted all of the recommendations in Ahead of the Game: Blueprint for Reform of Australian Government Administration.
“We are committed to building an Australian Public Service with a culture of independence, excellence and innovation - in policy advice and service delivery.”
The Blueprint outlines a comprehensive reform agenda to ensure the APS can meet today’s challenges of unprecedented complexity and scale. It identifies four broad areas where performance can be improved. Nine interdependent reforms, supported by twenty-eight specific recommendations, provide a comprehensive strategy to deliver these outcomes.
Once enacted the recommendations will strengthen strategic direction and citizen engagement across the APS; while equipping the staff and leaders of the APS to perform at their best.
- Ahead of the Game: Blueprint for Reform of Australian Government Administration - PDF 1.7MB
- Ahead of the Game: Blueprint for Reform of Australian Government Administration - RTF 1.5MB
PDF by Chapter
- Cover and Executive Summary - PDF 324KB
- Part 1 - What is the Australian Government Administration? - PDF 231KB
- Part 2 - Why is a strong APS important? - PDF 204KB
- Part 3 - How is the APS Performing? - PDF 363KB
- Part 4 - Blue print for Reform - PDF 680KB
- Part 5 - Conclusion, Glossary and Appendices - PDF 324KB
- Secretariat Taskforce to the Advisory Group
- Executive Summary
- Part 1 – What is Australian Government Administration?
- Part 2 – Why is a Strong APS Important?
- Part 3 – How is the APS Performing?
- Part 4 – The Blueprint
- Reform 1: Delivering better services for citizens
- Reform 2: Creating more open government
- Reform 3: Enhancing policy capability
- Reform 4: Reinvigorating strategic leadership
- Reform 5: Introducing a new APSC to drive change and provide strategic planning
- Reform 6: Clarifying and aligning employment conditions
- Reform 7: Strengthening the workforce
- Reform 8: Ensuring agency agility, capability and effectiveness
- Reform 9: Improving agency efficiency
- Part 5 – Conclusion
- Appendix 1 – Internal Reference Group Members
- Appendix 2 – Recruitment Myths
- Appendix 3 – Implementation
- Appendix 4 – Overview of reforms
The report Ahead of the Game: Blueprint for Reform of Australian Government Administration has been made available on this site in Portable Document Format (PDF) for downloading and printing. If you need further assistance with alternative formats, please contact the Advisory Group project team by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see our Help Page for assistance with PDF accessibility issues, downloading and viewing files.
To download and save the document to your hard drive for offline viewing, right click on the document and choose "Save Target" or "Save link as" from the pop-up menu depending upon your browser. For Mac OS, click and hold the link to the PDF file and choose "Download Link to Disk" from the pop-up menu. Specify a name and location for the PDF file and then click Save.
The PDF version of the Ahead of the Game: Blueprint for Reform of Australian Government Administration is the authoritative version of the document.
General questions on the blueprint may be emailed to ReformGovernment@pmc.gov.au.
PO Box 6500
CANBERRA ACT 2600 Australia
Switchboard Telephone: 02 6271 5111