Guidelines and Procedures
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet provides advice to other Australian Government agencies on many aspects of public administration. This section highlights some of these guidelines and procedures.
Advice and information is available by referring to the documents available for download below.
- Cabinet Handbook – 7th Edition (March 2012) – RTF 905KB | PDF 405KB
- Federal Executive Council Handbook – MS Word 220KB | PDF 395KB
- FOI Guidance Notes
- Government Guidelines for Official Witnesses before Parliamentary Committees and Related Matters – RTF 79KB | PDF 144KB
- Guidance on Caretaker Conventions (updated June 2013) – RTF 291KB | PDF 127KB
- Guidelines for post-election consultations with independent Members – RTF 55KB | PDF 65KB
- Guide to Implementation Planning
- Guidelines for the Presentation of Documents to the Parliament (including Government Documents, Government Responses to Committee Reports, Ministerial Statement, Annual Reports and Other Instruments) (updated October 2013) – RTF 1.6MB | PDF 537KB
- Legislation Handbook – RTF 960KB | PDF 485KB
- Requirements for Annual Reports – Document as approved by the Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit (updated 24 June 2013) – RTF 1.82MB | PDF 701KB
Statement of Ministerial Standards – RTF 1.7MB | PDF 80KB Note: There is a Statement of Standards for Ministerial Staff available from the Special Minister of State’s website.
- Appendix A to the Statement of Ministerial Standards is the Lobbying Code of Conduct, available from the Australian Government Register of Lobbyists website.
The Honours, Symbols and Territories Branch of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet is responsible for administering the Guidelines on the use of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms and the Australian Government Branding Design Guidelines. Information about the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, including a description, can be found on the It’s An Honour website.
- Commonwealth Coat of Arms - Information and Guidelines - RTF 4MB | PDF 297KB
- Australian Government Branding Design Guidelines (updated April 2013) – RTF 1.86MB | PDF 501KB