Guidelines and Procedures
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet provides advice to other Australian Government agencies on many aspects of public administration. This section highlights some of these guidelines and procedures.
Advice and information is available by referring to the documents available for download below.
- Cabinet Handbook – 7th Edition (March 2012) – RTF 905KB | PDF 405KB
- Federal Executive Council Handbook – MS Word 220KB | PDF 395KB
- FOI Guidance Notes
- Government Guidelines for Official Witnesses before Parliamentary Committees and Related Matters – RTF 79KB | PDF 144KB
- Guidance on Caretaker Conventions (Updated May 2010) – RTF 264KB | PDF 111KB
- Guidelines for post-election consultations with independent Members – RTF 55KB | PDF 65KB
- Guide to Preparing Implementation Plans – RTF 442 KB | PDF 223KB
- Guidelines for the Presentation of Documents to the Parliament (including Government Documents, Government Responses to Committee Reports, Ministerial Statement, Annual Reports and Other Instruments) (updated December 2012) – RTF 1.6MB | PDF 542KB
- Legislation Handbook – RTF 960KB | PDF 485KB
- Requirements for Annual Reports – Document as approved by the Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit (updated 28 June 2012) - RTF 1.8MB | PDF 652KB
- Standards of Ministerial Ethics – RTF 237KB | PDF 72KB – Note: There is a Code of Conduct for Ministerial Staff available from the Special Minister of State's website.
The Honours, Symbols and Territories Branch of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet is responsible for administering the Guidelines on the use of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms and the Australian Government Branding Design Guidelines. Information about the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, including a description, can be found on the It’s An Honour website.
- Commonwealth Coat of Arms - Information and Guidelines - RTF 2.3MB | PDF 108KB
- Australian Government Branding Design Guidelines (updated April 2013) – RTF 1.86MB | PDF 501KB