The three organisations with primary responsibility for administering Australia’s system of honours are:
- The Australian Honours and Awards Secretariat, Government House
- Honours, Symbols and Legal Policy Branch, PM&C
- Directorate of Honours and Awards, Department of Defence
The Australian Honours and Awards Secretariat at Government House
The Governor-General is the Chancellor of the Order of Australia and the Honours Secretariat is responsible for its administration. A large part of the Secretariat’s role is to research nominations for the Order of Australia, but the Secretariat also:
- provides support to the Council for the Order of Australia, which is an independent body that considers nominations to the Order of Australia and recommends appointments to the Governor-General
- supports the work of the Australian Bravery Decorations Council
- administers honours and awards for meritorious action by members of the Australian Defence Force in peacetime and war-like operations
- ensures all other awards – including decorations in gallantry, meritorious service, conspicuous service, skill-at-arms, exceptional service in Antarctica and long service – are processed for approval in accordance with regulations.
Further information on the awards administered by The Australian Honours Secretariat at Government House.
The contact details for the The Australian Honours Secretariat at Government House:
Phone: (02) 6283 3604
Toll-free phone line: 1800 552 275
The Honours, Symbols and Legal Policy Branch at PM&C
We provide policy advice on the operation of the Australian honours system and on occasion undertakes promotional activities in relation to the on the Australian honours system.
We administer applications for certain awards, such as the Civilian Service Medal and Humanitarian Overseas Service Medal, and provides secretariat support to the Commonwealth Public Service Medal Committee. We also assist the Prime Minister in considering non-Australian citizens for honorary awards in the Order of Australia, and provide advice on requests by foreign governments to recognise the efforts of Australian citizens by granting them foreign awards.
More information about awards administered by the Honours, Symbols and Legal policy branch.
The contact details for the Honours, Symbols and Legal Policy Branch are:
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
PO Box 6500
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Phone: 02 6271 5601
The Directorate of Honours and Awards at the Department of Defence
The Department of Defence provides policy advice on defence honours and awards. The Department is also responsible for administering defence awards.
More information about the awards administered by the Directorate of Honours and Awards.
Toll-free medal inquiry phone line: 1800 333 362
Directorate of Honours and Awards
CP2-1, Department of Defence
PO Box 7952
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610