Reports on Legal Services Expenditure
Paragraph 11.1(ba) of the Legal Services Directions 2005, issued by the Attorney-General under the Judiciary Act 1903, requires Chief Executives of agencies subject to the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 to ensure that their agencies’ legal services purchasing, including expenditure, is appropriately recorded and monitored and that, by 30 October each year, the agency makes publicly available records of the legal services expenditure for the previous financial year.
This obligation was included in the Directions to enhance the transparency of legal services expenditure recording and reporting in line with the findings of the Australian National Audit Office in its report on Legal Services Arrangements in the Australian Public Service (Report No. 52 of 2004-05).
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s reports on legal services expenditure for the financial years beginning from 2005, including external and internal expenditure, can be accessed below.
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2011–12 – RTF 55KB | PDF 148KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2010–11 – RTF 54KB | PDF 132KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2009–10 - RTF 49KB | PDF 136KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2008–09 – RTF 49KB | PDF 54KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2007–08 – RTF 52KB | PDF 18KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2006–07 – RTF 39KB | PDF 29KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2005–06 – RTF 26KB | PDF 30KB