Senate Order for the Production of Indexed Lists of Departmental and Agency Files
On the 14 November 1994, the Senate agreed to a motion by Senator Harradine requiring all Australian Government departments and agencies to produce an indexed list of files every six months for tabling before parliament. The production of the list is intended to make the operations of government more transparent to the Australian public.
As part of the Governments ongoing commitment to give Australians greater access to relevant government information quickly and easily, the original Senate Order was amended in 1998 and now requires departments to also list these files on their Internet websites.
The lists are tabled twice a year, once in the Spring sittings and once in the Autumn sittings.
- Spring sittings - files created in the preceding July to December
- Autumn sitting - files created in the preceding January to June
The Department's Indexed List of Files
In accordance with the Order, the department's list of files does not include:
- files transferred to the National Archives of Australia
- files essentially related the internal administration of the department (staff or personnel, accounts, training, or general administrative matters), and
- case related files (for example personal representation or dealing with the personal affairs of departmental or agency client).
In addition, the department's lists do not include files whose titles would disclose the deliberations of Cabinet.
In accordance with the Order, some information in file titles has been deleted, such as:
- commercially confidential information
- identifiably personal information, and
- any security classified information which is disclosed in or which could reasonably be established from a file title.
In response to the senate order requirement that the list be 'indexed', the files are arranged under the names of the current divisions and branches of the Department and then by file number.
If you have any difficulties in accessing the information provided or need further assistance with alternative formats, please contact the department using the details provided on the Feedback page.
- Files created July – December 2012 - RTF 1.7MB | PDF 506KB
- Files created January – June 2012 - RTF 1.9MB | PDF 816KB
- Files created July – December 2011 - RTF 2.8MB | PDF 689KB
- Files created January – June 2011 - RTF 212KB | PDF 1.3MB
- Files created July – December 2010 - RTF 2.6MB | PDF 624KB
- Files created January – July 2010 - RTF 2.4MB | PDF 600KB
- Files created July – December 2009 - RTF 2.7MB | PDF 689KB
- Files created January – June 2009 - RTF 3.6MB | PDF 918KB
Office for the Arts Indexed List of Files
- Files created July - December 2010 - RTF 548KB | PDF182KB
- Files created January – July 2010 - RTF 661KB | PDF 163KB
Office for Sport Indexed List of Files
Indexed List of Files on external websites
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM)
- Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA)
- Australian Sports Commission (ASC)
- Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House (MOADOPH)
- National Film and Sound Archive (NFSA)
- National Gallery of Australia (NGA)
- National Library of Australia (NLA)
- National Museum of Australia (NMA)
- Screen Australia
Departmental files may include approved acronyms and abbreviations for groups or topics currently in use within the department or for Division, Branch, Section and Unit names.
How to Access Departmental Records under the FOI Act 1982
Inquiries regarding access to departmental records under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 1982 can be made to the FOI Coordinator.Top